The responsible state institution for financing and administrating of the R&D in the Czech Republic is the "Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports". However, the "Research, Development and Innovation Council" defines strategic visions for the future. In the field of applies research, the "Technology Agency of the Czech Republic" was recently established to streamline the governmental support in the applied research while the "Czech Science Foundation", finances the basic research.
National Research and Innovation Strategy for Smart Specialization (National RIS3 Strategy) represents a strategic document providing efficiently focused support to research, development and innovations areas. As a main activity, National RIS3 Strategy provides efficient focus of European, national, regional and private funds on the most promising sectors of research and business. Building of efficient relationships between academic institutions and the business sector represents a partial goal of National RIS3 Strategy. National RIS 3 Strategy constitutes with a preliminary condition for EU funding programmes for research, development and innovations.
The innovation process in the National RIS3 strategy comprises the following:
- Identifying new customer needs and finding technical solutions to satisfy them.
- Searching for, acquiring and coordinating the management of necessary resources (including research results, if needed) and competences.
- Launching the innovation onto the market so that it is well received by customers and so that the launch takes place ahead of the competition.
Research and development and innovation priorities are identified through the entrepreneurial discovery process (EDP) within National Innovation Platforms.
The priority topics for the "Digital economy and digital content" area are given below (for further information on other areas, we refer to National RIS 3 Strategy).
- Development of high-quality infrastructure providing fast or superfast Internet access.
- Support for the development of digital content industries, introduction and utilisation of new technological concepts, (e.g. Support for the introduction and utilisation of new technological concepts such as the cloud, IoT, big data, artificial intelligence and others).
- Ensuring the government’s coherent approach to the provision of loans, borrowings and/or guarantees for loans, including development of venture capital financing.
- Support for the development of technological concepts and their application in national economy sectors, (e.g. Internet of Things and cyber-physical systems, robotics, methods and techniques for cybernetics and artificial intelligence (agent systems, service-oriented architectures, learning and self-organising systems, machine perception systems, intelligent robotics), development of new algorithms and analytical tools for working with large quantities of data, tools for working with the Czech language in ICT, digitisation of the distribution system; Adaptation of technological concepts to the needs of national economy sectors, solutions based on the principles of the sharing economy, e-commerce, technological interconnection of digital content, the Internet of Things, assistive technology).
- Cybersecurity, (e.g. Protection of ICT infrastructure and data against attacks, data and network security; Secure data storage and backups; Modern and secure digital communications; Defence against malware propagation; Cybercrime prevention.
- Social impacts of society digitization
- Research into technology impacts on society and individuals within new creative industries
- Media production.
- Memory institutions
The Internet of Things are incorporated in the "National cyber security strategy of the Czech Republic for the period from 2015 to 2020", prepared by the National Security Authority National Cyber Security Centre.